Plein Air Painting Kit



As the title of the post says, I am preparing a plein air painting kit for my upcoming trip to the Columbia River Gorge. The card above says it all. It will be my first event with an American group of painters so I am trying to make myself look as professional as I can.





Just kidding, artists are artists wherever you go, lovely creative people obsessed with the things on their easels, and great promoters of artistic camaraderie. I hear that they have some lovely wineries just south from the gorge too.

Nevertheless, it's good to be prepared for the maximum enjoyment while painting outside. I am traveling by car so the temptation is to bring the kitchen sink but I'll try not to. I prepared a list  (two lists, one for acrylic and one for oils) and some pics of what I am packing up. If you notice me forgetting something important, please do let me know!


Tatjana's Acrylic Plein Air Painting Kit:



  • my brand new Strada paint box (I am retiring my super-heavy Julian easel)
  • tubes of acrylic paint (titanium white, cadmium yellow, yellow ochre, transparent red oxide, quinacridone red, dioxazine purple, ultramarine blue, phthalo blue, cerulean blue, phthalo green)
  • synthetic brushes (flats and filberts, sizes 6-12)
  • water jug
  • water sprayer





Tatjana's Oil Plein Air Painting Kit:



  • my semi-new Guerrilla painter cigar box
  • tubes of alkyd oil paint (titanium white, cad yellow, yellow ochre, burnt sienna, winsor red, alizarin crimson, ultramarine blue, pthalo blue, cobalt blue, phthalo green)
  • Walnut alkyd medium (small jar)
  • Odorless thinner (small jar + a bigger jar to clean brushes)
  • hog brushes (rounds, filberts, and flats, sizes 6-12)
  • baby oil (for cleanup)





Miscellaneous Items:



  • my hand-made painting panels
  • paper palettes
  • sealable palette box
  • rags and paper towels
  • tripod
  • comfy backpack
  • umbrella
  • sun screen
  • bug spray
  • plastic garbage bag
  • camera
  • notebook
  • lap top
  • cool hat
  • hiking gear
  • something decent to wear for gatherings






The event includes a month long group exhibit of the plein air paintings in the Maryhill Museum of Art, so I am bringing a few frames with me and all the hanging paraphernalia. This will be fun, I can't wait to get there!

I'll make sure to take photos and will report back with my impressions, in case some of you are tempted to enter this annual event next year.

If you happen to be in the Gorge in August, please make sure to visit the museum. The area is beautiful!


Happy painting!

Tatjana

cool hat - check!

4 comments:

  1. Have fun Tatjana! I look forward to seeing the group's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doria! I will definitively post an update.

      Delete
  2. No acrylic medium? Not even a tiny bottle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely forgot about it - thank you so much for the reminder!

      Delete