Visceral Shift

Bugaboos Reflections, 30x20, original painting by Tatjana Mirkov-Popovicki

On my recent visit to Ontario, I was reminded of my childhood in the Pannonian flatland in northern Serbia. I remember endless fields of corn and sunflowers, wide silvery rivers, and the moody windswept sky. Here is a painting of mine from many years ago, portraying the landscape of my native land.



Flatlands, original painting by Tatjana Mirkov-Popovicki



I left the Pannonian plains in the nineties and moved to a completely different landscape, to Vancouver, a city wedged between majestic mountains and the Pacific Ocean.

There were many adjustments to make, the least anticipated one being a visceral adjustment to the grand vertical shapes of the landscape. It took me several years just to be able to visually grasp what I was seeing on my first hiking trips to the mountains of the North Shore, not to mention the Purcell Mountain Range and the Canadian Rockies.

After all those years of living here, I still get surprised, awed, enchanted, by this land. The Bugaboos Reflections (featured on the top of this post) is a perfect example of expressing my feeling of sheer wonder. I wanted to show how it feels like when I find myself in a setting which is so hypnotically unusual, I almost think that I am in a fairytale. That scene is from the Bugaboos mountain in the Purcell Mountain Range in eastern British Columbia.


Talking about unusual, let's give its due to the Halloween with some terrific scary art!





Spider by Louise Bourgeois, National Art Gallery in Ottawa.



Happy Halloween my artsy friends!

Tatjana


Red Larch by Tatjana Mirkov-Popovicki




2 comments:

  1. Bugaboos Reflections - that is one alive painting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy. Being in the mountains makes me feel super alive. :-)

      Delete